Sexy Halloween Costumes for Girls: Where Should Parents Draw The Line?

I still remember seeing her when my now-seventh-grade son was in first grade: the 6-year-old girl in the midriff-baring Britney Spears Halloween costume, tossing her hair and trying to give off a decidedly sexy-teen vibe.

She was SIX. And I remember thinking to myself, even then: “This girl will be in trouble someday.”

Never mind that the elementary school allowed her to strut her stuff in the school Halloween parade, in obvious violation of the stated Halloween dress code. Where were this girl’s parents? And what were they thinking?

In today’s Los Angeles Times, Melissa Healy’s article, Sexy Halloween Costumes… For Little Girls? talks about titillating Halloween outfits being marketed to kids. It’s a trend that’s picking up even more steam this year, apparently.

What’s a parent to do? Check out the article and tell us what you think.

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Sexy Halloween Costumes for Girls: Where Should Parents Draw The Line?”

1. Total Transformation Review says:

I think as parents we have a hard enough time keeping our daughters from wearing clothes that are much better suited to the 20-something crowd. What happened to either being something scary or dressing up as somone you’d like to be when you grow up? I doubt any parent out there wants their daughter to grow up to be Brittney Spears!
    totaltransformationreview@gmail.com

That was it when I was a kid: something scary or something you wanted to be when you grow up. Works for me — still!

3. As a parent, I championed the same concept I grew up with: be CREATIVE. This attitude of “you must spend big bucks” is inexplicable.
    My son came up with crazy choices and I did whatever I could to foster them, from “Milk Bottle” (1991?) to my alltime favorite “Trout In A Box” (1997). I have no idea where these ideas come from, and it’s not my job to judge them - that’s not what creativity is about. I’d only shoot down an idea if we jointly couldn’t come up with ideas for bringing it to life.
    Someday you’ll so wish you had the time back to work with your child on a project that isn’t mandated by school or other associations (scouting, clubs, church etc). Make it a family project, people!

Yes!! This is such a great idea, Robyn. I want to see a picture of “Trout in a Box.” Please? :) kathysena@earthlink.net.

5. Cindy says:

I just read a book “That’s My Son, How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character” by Rick Johnson. In it, the author addressed the male sex drive and said something to the effect that the shape of a woman’s calf can turn a guy on. Just imagine what our young sons have to battle every time they go out of their homes. Tight, revealing clothing can set off an internal battle for them. I feel badly for our boys, and just wish we could tell the girls to put it away. They really don’t need to show off skin to get a boy’s attention. That said… are they wearing these clothes to get their parent’s?

6. Condo Blues says:

The scary thing is that almost all of the women’s costumes are getting too sexy for polite company too. As in, trying to find a costume to wear to work or a party with my husbad’s co-workers that won’t make me look like a hooker. This year I hit the limit when I saw in a store flyer a “sexy” Freddie Kruger outfit for a women. It was just a _very_ short dress with slashes near the tummy. YIKES!!
    I’m not a prude and if I’m going someplace that’s all adults I might consider something a little more va-va-voom to make sure that my husband remembers why he married me :) . But for the most part the way too sexy costume is not great for me and espeically the little ones.

Cindy, thanks for the great comment about that book. Sounds like a good one. Good point about the girls wearing the seductive clothing…

8. Total Transformation says:

As a parent, i am very strict with what my kids are wearing. A revealing outlook just would NOT do for my girl. The concept is simple - if they wear skimpily in their early years, then what makes me think that they would not wear even more provocatively when they are older. By then, it’ll be more difficult to stop them.

I agree! It is a slippery slope. Thanks for the comment.

10. Random Teen says:

Well, I’m not a parent, I’m 17, but to see these kinds of costumes for kids disgusts me. Heck, I don’t even like seeing these kinds of costumes for teens. They’re not very appropriate and if you’re trick or treating you’ll probably freeze to death.
    I tend to dress up like someone I like or do something creepy/gothic. It’s not really that hard to do that with a few things laying around at home. Goodwill works too for costume stuffs :3

Hi — Great comment! Would you like to write a guest post for Halloween about creative costume ideas? Sounds like you have a lot of them! I think my readers would love it.

12. teenGirl./ says:

im Not an adult either;;im just 15, i have 3 little sisters 2 age nine and one age 7 and i would NEver let them wear anything like this on halloween nor would i because of all the predators that are around and all the pedophiles lying around…Parents should be aware and if it was me i would write a complaint letter to these companies because these costumes are not appropriate and if you see the teen costumes! they are even worse!! what ever happened to dressing like a princess??

Teen Girl — You are one smart cookie! Your little sisters are lucky to have you to show them the way. I have a feeling you’ll do well in life because you respect yourself and you know how to speak up for yourself. Thanks for your comment!

14. Rusty Shacklefort says:

I think its the childs decision