Crocs and Roller Sneakers and Wheelies, Oh My!

A Rainbow of Crocs

I've been reading lately that some schools are banning roller sneakers and Crocs. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, roller sneakers contributed to about 1,600 kids' ER visits in 2006 (the most recent data available on this) and school officials say Crocs can easily slip off and injure kids when they run at recess or play games in gym class.

Another item that is getting the evil eye in some schools is wheeled book bags/wheeled backbacks. Children often struggle to maneuver them through crowded school hallways, and other kids may trip over them, causing them to be banned.

Banning Crocs and roller sneakers? I can understand that. But I always thought of wheeled book bags as a good thing, as opposed to often-overloaded backpacks that can be too heavy for young kids. In fact I've written health-column items on backpacks in the past, and several doctors have said they prefer to see kids with the wheeled version. (Granted, it's best if the kids don't mow each other down in the hallways with them!)

What's on the banned list at your school? And what are your thoughts on Crocs, wheeled backpacks and roller sneakers?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Crocs and Roller Sneakers and Wheelies, Oh My!”

1. Carolyn Bahm says:

I think it’s idiotic of schools to ban wheeled backpacks. I presume it’s to avoid tripping or hallway congestion? But it seems ridiculous when you think of the benefits — protecting backs, encouraging kids to take books home when it’s not such a pain to carry them, etc.
    Things my daughter’s schools have banned in the past: sweatshirts unless they’re tucked in, running on the playground, and birthday snacks baked at home (bakery items only. I could go on and on …
    Ridiculous, right?

Yes, there’s a of of overreaction in many cases, it seems… I’d much rather see young kids, especially, use wheeled backpacks. My son used one all through elementary school, and it was great.

3. Shari says:

Well in our school the children must wear school T’s. That is any short sleeved - long sleeved or sweatshirt in a solid color with the school emblem ironed on the top left of the shirt! I love it - we bought 6 shirts in six colors and we just pick out which color we are going to wear tomorrow. After the first day of school we received a printed announcement from the school - “no crocs” oy! My daughter loves her princess crocs but we are into sandals now - and soon some new sneakers!

4. To quote a song from “Gigi,” I’m glad I’m not young anymore - and I’m glad my son is a grownup and I don’t have to deal with this nonsense. Too many schools no longer teach, and too many kids no longer learn. There are usually no dress codes about what pupils are supposed to wear, but instead a long list of what is prohibited because someone, somewhere happened to have an accident involving the now-banned item.
    Of course, some kids (i.e., boys) are going to run into each other with wheeled backpacks. They are always finding some way to tussle and compete. And no running on the playground or home-made snacks to share? Let obesity reign.
    And don’t even let me get started on banning an innocuous Presidential speech. The nation has gone loony.
    It’s plum w

Claire, you said it. Beautifully! Would you like to turn this comment into a guest post? If so, just do what you’d like with it and send it to kathy@kathysena.com. I’d love to run it. I think it got cut off, BTW.
    Thanks!

Love the t-shirt idea! The kids at our school can’t wear sandals, I believe. Must be closed-toe shoes. I could be wrong, but I think it was part of the safety thing for P.E. My son wears nothing but tennis shoes, so I didn’t have to think about this one too much!

7. I’m with you on the wheeled bags. Whenever I see a first grader barely managing a stooped hobble under the weight of a 50 pound backpack… But it always strikes me a somewhat comical when you see them all wheeling into school. Like it’s a junior airport or something.

Kate, I love that vision of the junior airport! You’re so right! Never looked at it that way. Now it will crack me up when I see it.