Got a Teen? Don’t Take the Bait!

This morning on the way to school, my seventh grader and I heard a silly commercial on the radio. I commented that it must be running at the same time every day because we had heard the exact same commercial while sitting at the same stop light the day before.

Just making conversation, right?

My son suddenly must have realized that he hadn't fulfilled his "if mom says the sky is blue I must insist it's green" quota for the day. So he came up with: "It wasn't exactly the same commercial as the one that ran yesterday."

Then he looked at me expectantly…

For the record? Yes, friends, it was EXACTLY the same commercial. But to my credit, I did something I don't often manage to do: I didn't take the bait. I just sort of shrugged as if to say "Oh well. You may be right. Who knows?"

Drove him nuts. Who was this mom who failed to engage in a debate over… nothing? After a couple more attempts resulted in less that his desired results, we moved on to another topic.

Success! I was not the catch of the day.

To make it an even better day, a friend just sent me this poster. I'm tempted to print it out and hang it in the kitchen. But then I'd be the one doing the baiting, right?

OK, I'll resist. At least I can share it with you — my fellow fish in the parenting-teens ocean.

Have you been baited by your teen lately? How did you handle it? Today I was on my game. But tomorrow? I may need all the tips I can get!

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “Got a Teen? Don’t Take the Bait!”

1. The Barb says:

Love. Love. Love. That poster. You might resist printing it out.
    I might not…

Well, maybe I’ll print out a small version and put it on the fridge… ;)

3. Liz says:

I will even help my son pack! Oh wait. He knows how. And I know nothing.
    I hear that around age 25 they start to get over this (but I sure hope it’s sooner rather than later).
    - Liz /parent of a 17 y.o.

Oh, Heaven help me. I have 12 years to go…!

5. I can totally relate. It is amazing how many IQ points I loose daily according to my son.
    Liz my daughter is 21 and amazingly enough she now sees me as having some knowledge.

6. MudslideMama says:

Uh oh…what does it mean when your lovely offspring isn’t even an official teen yet, but already has the eye-rolling, boundary-testing shrug of dismissal down pat? I may be in for a doozy!

Hey, Mama — Oh, the dreaded shrug of dismissal! I know it well, my friend. Yep, you’re in for a doozy!
    And Amy, thanks for giving us a glimmer of hope! 21 beats 25!

8. JMom says:

Mine are 11, 16 and 16. I’m hanging this on the fridge. lol!
    and the thing is, they’re all girls and we all seem to go on the cycle at the same time. Drive my husband nuts when the hormones start flying. I have to admit, during those times, I’ve taken the bait too often than I’d like to count.

Oh, I keep hearing all about girl drama — especially at this age — from my mom friends. Hang in there!

10. Momo says:

I am sending this to my mother!