Guest Blog: Our Get-Fat-Tuesday Family Tradition

Here’s a fun post from first-time guest blogger Ellen Cajka, who knows all about healthy eating (and when to not worry about it) AND raising teenagers. I love her "Get Fat Tuesday" family tradition.

Mardi Gras, otherwise known as "Fat Tuesday," was a lot of fun at our house this year. No, we didn’t have a wild costume party, partake in alcohol or even "earn" multi-colored beads.

My 14-year-old daughter, Taylor, and I planned our own version of Fat Tuesday — and boy did we do it up right! We called it "Get Fat Tuesday." Taylor is giving up fast food for Lent, and I am giving up sweets. No small task! So we decided to go out with a bang.

We ordered  three different kinds of takeout: pizza, Taco Bell and El Pollo Loco. And we finished the evening off with 31 Flavors ice cream and had two scoops each. I was planning on having a hot fudge sundae, but after a piece of pizza, 3/4 of a cheese quesadilla, some Nachos Bell Grande, chicken and mashed potatoes, a sundae suddenly didn’t sound all that appetizing.

We had fun planning and it certainly felt sinful enjoying all those forbidden foods. Sweets are my nemesis, and any teen would struggle to go just a week without pizza or a burger. It’s going to be LONG 40 days and 40 nights.

But hey, maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me some chocolate.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Guest Blog: Our Get-Fat-Tuesday Family Tradition”

1. Joy says:

How did you feel about 2 hours after you were done eating? Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who feels just awful after I eat like that. One of the reasons I started my most recent diet was that the “holiday eating” didn’t really stop after the holidays and I was starting to feel really yucky physically. Well, since I know my emotions will also suffer since they are close buddies with my body, then I drew the line in the sand. I hope you do well during Lent. Post and let us know how you’re doing.

Good point, Joy. Sometimes the holiday eating just sort of carries over into the new year, and pretty soon, it’s February and nothing has really changed! Been there, done that.
    Ellen, I applaud your commitment here — no sweets for 40 days! And I think it’s fun to have a blow-out night once in awhile, too! I’m sure Taylor will remember that night for years to come.
    Kathy

3. ellen says:

Joy, thanks for your comments! And you are right, I felt pretty awful after all that junk. Sad to say I think we just get use to that feeling.
    After a week of no sweets i’ve realized I’m mindlessly substituting salty/fat foods for the sweets! Yikes! I usually don’t eat chips or cheese and I’ve noticed that’s what I’m drawn to. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and got lots of delicious fruits to tempt me instead. I’ll let you know how it goes.

4. ellen says:

Kathy- I think you’re right, Taylor will remember our “get fat Tuesday” for years. It was the perfect meal in a teenagers world. I must admit I’m impressed with Taylor, her after school band class ordered pizza yesterday….and she passed on having some. Week one….so far so good for both of us.

Ellen, I was wondering if salty/greasy would end up taking the place of sweet. That happens for me all too often. (I like ALL the bad stuff!)
    Good for you for going for the big fruit shopping trip! I’m planning to do that today, too. When I do lose weight, I find that I’m drinking more water and eating more fruit.

Wow, kudos to Taylor for turning down the pizza after band class! That’s tough when all your friends are eating something. Good for her for staying strong!